Saturday, August 2, 2014

2014 KTM 690 Enduro R stock tire review (Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara)


The stock tires (Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara)  now have 4670 kms / 2900 miles under them. They still have thread left, but no doubt need to be replaced at the end of the summer. My riding has been 80% on and 20% off road. I've been relatively easy on the tires on and off the pavement. The tires seem to be somewhat ok on the wet asphalt too, even though I did have an Oh shit moment on wet asphalt when the tires were quite new. What surprised me the most was that the Saharas worked ok on the track too. Not that I took them to the limit in any way, but track riding was in no way uncomfortable with them. Wet mud was somewhat of a problem for the Saharas and the tires became slippery very fast, but I quess thats the case with most dual sport tires anyway.

At first it looked like the Saharas would be gone very fast as they seemed to wear quickly in the beginning. The apparent wear soon slowed down, but I did manage to flatten the profile on the 2000 km ride up north.
Metzeler Enduro 2 Saharas at 4670 kms (rear)



I'm comparing the stock Saharas to Michelin Siracs and Continental TKC 80s that I had on the 660 Tenere. I think the Saharas or somewhere between the two, definitely better than Siracs but worse  off road than the TKC 80s. Bear in mind though that the bike was very different so the comparison isn't very fair. All in all I would not hesitate to buy the Saharas again for my type of riding, but if you are fortunate enough to be able to get off the pavement a lot more, maybe buy something else.
Metzeler Enduro 2 Saharas at 4670 kms (front)



No comments:

Post a Comment